Admissions for International Students
We welcome students from across the world to study with us at KCUA. Our international students come from all over the world, and their unique cultures and experience help to enrich the environment of the university. Kyoto City University of Arts accepts applications from international students in the following programs and degrees:
- Undergraduate Program
- Non-degree research students
- Graduate School Master’s program
- Graduate School Doctoral Program
- Exchange Programs
There is no established entrance examination system for international students at the faculties of fine arts and music at Kyoto City University of Arts. Please follow the same procedures as residents in Japan and sit the general entrance examination. Detailed information on the entrance examination can be found on the KCUA website (in Japanese only).
Faculty of Fine Arts, information on the entrance examination:
https://www.kcua.ac.jp/admission/finearts-2/ (Japanese Only)
Faculty of Music, information on the entrance examination：
https://www.kcua.ac.jp/admission/music-2/ (Japanese Only)
*We are accepting applications for exchange programs from students enrolled in schools we have an exchange agreement with.
Non-degree research students
The non-degree research student system is for international students who have already acquired a bachelor’s degree or a diploma of equivalence. Though non-degree research students are students not awarded a degree or university credits, they’re able to receive instruction for their work, performances, (music) composition or research from the appropriate faculty members. They’re also able to attend lessons in Japanese for no additional charge in both the first and second semesters. Students in the Graduate School of Arts are able to use the studio spaces available and exhibit work in the university exhibition at the end of the academic year, and students in the Graduate School of Music can use the practice studios. Only students in the Graduate School of Music (NOT the Graduate School of Arts) can sit the entrance examination for the honka-ryugakusei (regular graduate students) which is for selecting non-degree research students to join the Master’s Program.
Non-degree research students are able to:
- ● Receive instruction in skills from faculty members.
- ● Use the studio spaces and practice studios.
- ● Use the library (and borrow books).
- ● Follow the honka-ryugakusei program and sit the entrance examination for the Master’s Course (only for students in the Faculty of Music).
- ● Take Japanese lessons offered for international students.
Non-degree research students are NOT able to:
- ● Attend regular course lessons. (With permission from faculty members, this is possible in some cases).
- ● Obtain credits upon completion.
- ● Obtain a degree. *The university is able to issue a Certificate of Enrollment or Certificate of Enrollment Period.
- ● Use the student discount systems offered by public transportation, including JR.
For more information, please refer to the following application guidelines.
Graduate School of Fine Arts (revised March 2020)
Graduate School of Music (revised October 2020)
Graduate School Master’s program
The Master’s program is available to those who have taken the entrance examination. The examination is held entirely in Japanese, so a high degree of proficiency in Japanese is required. Please see the following entrance examination information pages for detailed information regarding application guidelines (in Japanese only).
Entrance Examination Information for the Faculty of Fine Arts Master’s Program (Japanese Only)
Entrance Examination Information for the Faculty of Music Master’s Program (Japanese Only)
* For Graduate School of Arts only, the application requirements for international students sitting the general entrance examination in the school year of 2021 are as follows:
- Application Requirements: Having passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N2 (2nd level) or higher
- Application Documents: A Japanese-Language Proficiency Test Certificate of Results and Scores from the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N2 (2nd level) or higher (original copy)
Note 1: Please present your Japanese-Language Proficiency Test Certificate of Results and Scores from the Japanese Language Proficiency Test N2 (2nd level) or higher BEFORE submitting your application.
Note 2: Please check student application guidelines for the Kyoto City University of Arts Graduate School of Arts (Doctoral Course) for Application Requirements and Procedures and Other Application Forms you may need.
* Entrance examination for the regular exchange program
In the Graduate School of Music, non-degree research students are able to sit the entrance examination for the Graduate School Master’s program after they have been enrolled for over six months. The content of the exam is identical to the general entrance examination, and held entirely in Japanese. Selection will be made from among non-degree research students who have sat the entrance examination. (The Faculty of Fine Arts does not have this system)
Graduate School Doctoral Program
International students are exempt from taking a foreign language test (intended for Japanese speakers) in the entrance examination for the Doctoral Program (this is only applicable on request BEFORE applying). Though there is no foreign language test, the examination content will be identical to that given to Japanese residents. Please see the following entrance examination information pages for detailed information regarding application guidelines (in Japanese only).
Entrance Examination Information for the Graduate School of Arts (Japanese Only)
Entrance Examination Information for the Graduate School of Music (Japanese Only)
Kyoto City University of Arts has exchange agreements and student exchange programs with arts and music institutions across the world.
For students enrolled in any of the following schools who are interested in exchange programs with KCUA, please contact the department in charge of exchange programs at your school/institution.
Application Form PDF WORD
Certificate of Eligibility EXCEL Sample Entry
Partner institutions of Fine Art
- Undergraduate & Postgraduate Exchange
- École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts de Paris (France)
- École nationale supérieure des Arts Décoratifs (France)
- NASCAD University (Canada)
- Bergen University, Faculty of Fine Art, Music and Design (Norway)
- K-arts (Korea)
- Politecnico di Milano, Scuola del Design (Italy)
- Postgraduate Exchange (only)
- University of the Arts Poznan (Poland)
- Sydney University (Australia)
- Central Academy of Fine Arts (China)
Partner institutions of Music
- Undergraduate & Postgraduate Exchange
- Hochschule für Musik Freiburg (Germany)
- Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien (Austra)
- Royal College of Music (UK)
- Dankook University School of Music (Korea)
- Taipei National University of the Arts (Taiwan)
- University of Bergen, Grieg Academy (Norway)
- Conservatorio di musica “T.Schipa” di Lecce (Italy)
- Haute école de musique de Genève (Switzerland)
- Postgraduate Exchange (only)
- Hochschule für Künste Bremen (Germany)
International Coordinators at the international offixe provides consultations for international students. Consultations can be provided in English for international students who are not fluent in Japanese.
Open hours：9AM – 5PM (Mon.-Fri.)